"...her secret is patience..." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Book Spotlight: Open Road Summer by Emery Lord

So I haven't done a book spotlight in a while. Sorry about that. I'm going to try to get back to reviewing books more often for you wonderful people.

  
  After breaking up with her bad-news boyfriend, Reagan O’Neill is ready to leave her rebellious ways behind. . . and her best friend, country superstar Lilah Montgomery, is nursing a broken heart of her own. Fortunately, Lilah’s 24-city tour is about to kick off, offering a perfect opportunity for a girls-only summer of break-up ballads and healing hearts. But when Matt Finch joins the tour as its opening act, his boy-next-door charm proves difficult for Reagan to resist, despite her vow to live a drama-free existence. This summer, Reagan and Lilah will navigate the ups and downs of fame and friendship as they come to see that giving your heart to the right person is always a risk worth taking.

   From Goodreads.com

   
   Before I begin, can we please talk about this cover? I saw this book on Goodreads when the cover was first released and I added it to my TBR right then and there. Granted, I also really enjoyed the premise for the story, and let me tell you, I wasn't disappointed. 

   I won't dive into the summary too much, because I feel like the small tidbit actually covers it pretty well. I loved the whole best friends on a road trip story, and this one pulled me right in. 
   Meet Reagan. She's your average troublesome tough girl. Honestly? She took me by surprise a bit when I first started the story. Maybe it's just because I haven't ready many stories with bad girl protagonist, but I have to say, I had to love Reagan. Well, except at the end of the book when she was stubborn, but that's a different point. What I liked about Reagan is how real she was. There wasn't any fluff about her, she just tells it like she sees it. Sure, she's cynical and untrustworthy and broken, but aren't we all a little? And I think that's why I could relate to her so much. 
   The other part of the story that I truly loved is the Reagan and Dee's friendship. Maybe I just need more contemporary in my life, but sometimes I feel like friendships get overlooked in books in leu of romance or other big deal problems. I really liked seeing how real Reagan and Dee were with each other, how it was truly about the other person for them. It's having one person pick up the broken pieces and hold you while you're trying to put them together, while, sometimes, crying your eyes out. It's what best friends are for and these two showed it well. 
   And yes, Matt. Let's talk about Matt. Oh holy goodness, that boy. He's just so undeniably sweet and good and everything a girl needs in her life. I loved how basically good he was, no pretenses with those he cared most about. He took care of those around him and he fought for what he wanted. Yes, his life wasn't perfect, but he did good with what's been handed to him and I respect that. I especially loved him and Reagan together. The tension between them was thick and real and so much fun to read as it all unraveled. It was just so good!
   Open Road Summer is the perfect read for all those whole love stories of true friendship, figuring out who you are, and finding those special people you can trust. I'm excited to see what Emery Lord has in store for us next! Open Road Summer is now out. Get it, read it, love it!

   Happy reading, 

    Valia 

No comments:

Flickr