"...her secret is patience..." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Book Spotlight: Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger




Seventeen-year-old Vane Weston has no idea how he survived the category five tornado that killed his parents. And he has no idea if the beautiful, dark-haired girl who’s swept through his dreams every night since the storm is real. But he hopes she is.
Seventeen-year-old Audra is a sylph, an air elemental. She walks on the wind, can translate its alluring songs, and can even coax it into a weapon with a simple string of commands. She’s also a guardian—Vane’s guardian—and has sworn an oath to protect Vane at all costs. Even if it means sacrificing her own life.
When a hasty mistake reveals their location to the enemy who murdered both of their families, Audra’s forced to help Vane remember who he is. He has a power to claim—the secret language of the West Wind, which only he can understand. But unlocking his heritage will also unlock the memory Audra needs him to forget. And their greatest danger is not the warriors coming to destroy them—but the forbidden romance that’s grown between them.

From goodreads.com
This story is about Vane, a seventeen-year-old orphan who finds out there is more to him than meets the eye. As a child, Vane survives a category five tornado that killed his parents. Ever since that day, he’s been dreaming (and sometimes possibly seeing) a girl. The girl, Audra, is not a figment of his imagination, but a mystical creature who is his guardian. As events take place, Vane and Audra meet face to face. He discovers the truth of his nature, and together they will have to fight in order to save themselves and those depending on them. 
This is pretty much how I feel throughout the book.
Now, let’s talk about this book. No, seriously, I have no idea where to start. Do I begin with the fabulous storyline? Can we talk about swoon-worthy Vane? or kick butt Audra? Or how about the beautiful writing? See my problem here? Too much of good stuff just overwhelming the brain. 

Yes, I needed two swoony pictures here :)


Vane. Oh, Vane *le sigh* I really enjoyed watching this boy grow. I really liked how he really started out as a typical teenage boy, full on with his laziness (I’m a pro at teenage boys, I have brothers). Yet, as the story went on, I really felt like he worked at becoming a better version of himself. I have to say, I’m a sucker for those unlikely heroes. 



Audra. Well, she was just a ball of laughs, that one (feel the sarcasm?) I actually really enjoyed Audra as a character. Her strict, take no nonsense was refreshing. I like me a good heroine and Audra really portrayed that to me. She had to work through some personal issues, make a teenage boy listen to her, and kick butt in the process. It’s a win all around. And together these two are just too freaking adorable! Just saying. 

The writing here was amazing. I’ve stated previously that I really enjoy dual point of view. Especially when it’s done properly. I have to say, Shannon nailed it. Both of the characters were given new depths through her use of interchangeable point of views, taking the story to a whole new level. There are no many things out there (in literature) that haven’t been tried, yet I felt that Shannon introduced a new side to the story. The world she created was realistic, enchanting, and right outside our front doors. 

For you, Shannon

There is one sad thing about this book. It doesn’t release until March of 2013. Yes, that is along time, and even longer for me waiting for that second one. Seriously, I might be in tears over here with the waiting. But I highly recommend everyone to pre-order this book. You won’t be sorry. And go ahead, come back and thank me for sharing the awesome! :)

Happy reading, 
Valia 

1 comment:

Bumbles and Fairy-Tales said...

Oh, Valia, what an awesome review post! I am dying to read this book! Everything about this story sounds so genuine, I was instantly drawn to the cover and summary! Good to know that I have something really wonderful to look forward to in the new year :)
Thanks for sharing!!!

Flickr