"...her secret is patience..." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, April 30, 2012

Book Spotlight: The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda with Special Treat!

Don’t Sweat.  Don’t Laugh.  Don’t draw attention to yourself.  And most of all, whatever you do, do not fall in love with one of them.
 
Gene is different from everyone else around him.  He can’t run with lightning speed, sunlight doesn’t hurt him and he doesn’t have an unquenchable lust for blood.  Gene is a human, and he knows the rules.  Keep the truth a secret.  It’s the only way to stay alive in a world of night—a world where humans are considered a delicacy and hunted for their blood.
 
When he’s chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt the last remaining humans, Gene’s carefully constructed life begins to crumble around him.  He’s thrust into the path of a girl who makes him feel things he never thought possible—and into a ruthless pack of hunters whose suspicions about his true nature are growing. Now that Gene has finally found something worth fighting for, his need to survive is stronger than ever—but is it worth the cost of his humanity? 

From Goodreads.com



Thank you Around the World ARC Tours for the copy!


Honestly, I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book. There is so much potential and ways it could be written, but I wasn’t disappointed. Once I started reading, I had to finish to find out what happens!

The book is written from Gene’s point of view, human boy living in an inhuman world. He grew up following a set of rules, keeping his humanity a complete secret. The vampires in this book is a lot like I’ve always pictured them. Ruthless, predatory, complete animals. The contrast between Gene and the vampires was so well written, it was creepy. 
Creepy is probably the best way to describe this book. Creepy and gross. The beginning was a little slow for me, there were times where I wanted the action of the Hunt to be present, but the ending kind of made up for it. I understand the necessity of setting up the world, and once you get through that, the book takes off. 
There are lots of twist in the book that I really enjoyed. Overall, this was a great read! I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book, where Andrew takes his characters. This world is dark, real, and terrifying, written to keep you up at night. If you like creepy you will like this book. This book comes out May 8th! Let me know what you think! 


Special treat for you guys! Macmillan Audio sent me a clip from their audio book. Enjoy! 




What do you think? 
Happy reading, 
Valia 

3 comments:

roro said...

gr8 review
i loved this book

Kate @ Ex Libris said...

I have this ARC, although I haven;t read it, but it looks so good with such an interesting approach to a "vampire story"

Kate @ Ex Libris

Belgie said...

THE HUNT had a compelling premise. How does a boy survive a brutal, dangerous world? There are disturbing elements and violence, which is most welcome in what is not only a vampire book (no sparkles as far as the eye can see), but a survival story, too. Well, Gene is smart and has razor sharp instincts. He acts the part, but he's always worried that he'll be found out. I like that he knows what to do to survive and can think on his feet. His narration can be serious one moment and humorous the next. However, this did not stop me from constantly putting the book down and picking it up days later. I was surprised that I could do this so often. Then the more I started reading, like another review mentioned, the more I kept comparing it to THE HUNGER GAMES series by Suzanne Collins. There are some major similarities to the series; I'm not saying that it's a complete mirror image of those books

Flickr