"...her secret is patience..." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Brooklynn and Grayson's Christmas Story!

   Hey lovelies,

   Merry Christmas!!! Today, I have a special gift just for you! All of your favorites from my Falling Series are making a cameo in the Christmas story below. I wanted to say thank you to everyone who's read my books this year and allowed me to share their stories with you!
   Merry Christmas!


“Chance, I swear, if you don’t get your butt over here in the next hour, we’re eating without you.” Dakota rolls her eyes in my direction, before walking into the other room with her phone. They’ve been together for less than six months and I’m happy to report that they haven’t changed a bit. They still fight more than they discuss things calmly and I can’t say I’m complaining. It’s nice to know that some things do stay the same. 
I make my way to the kitchen, making sure the food hasn’t burned down. Even though Chance’s dad is in charge, I like to double check. That will never change either.
“Brooklynn, is your family on the way yet?” Mr. Monroe asks me, not looking away from chopping up the onions. As soon as I take a whiff of the vegetable, I stop in the doorway. Mr. Monroe looks up at me, and I shrug a little. 
“I’m not sure, I need to give them a call. I’m going to go do that. In the other room.” Before he can ask anything else, I escape. My eyes are already starting to water.  Dakota is still on the phone with Chance in the living room, so I find a quiet place in the back patio and dial my parents. 
“Hey honey,” Mom answers as if she’s expecting a call. Which, granted, is not that far fetched. “We’re on our way. Your father had to stop at the store.” 
“No problem, Mom. No one else is here yet. Drive safe.” 
  Ever since the summer before college, my parents and I have been working on our communication. I know Dad still worries about my career choices, but he’s definitely doing better in keeping an open mind on the matter. I can’t really ask for more than that. I just wish my sister could’ve made it to the festivities, but she’s off on some business trip. She’s a lot more supportive now, than she’s ever been before. Which makes me happy, but it also makes me miss her that much more.
I don’t hear the door behind me slide open, but then arms circle me from behind and I know my boyfriend has arrived. I turn my head, just slightly, to smile up at his handsome face. 
“I knew I’d find you out here. I heard Dakota giving Chance a hard time in the other room.” Grayson hugs me closer, and I lean farther back into his arms. No matter how much time we spend together, there’s always that new thrill of being in his presence. I pray I never get over that feeling. He entwines our fingers on my waist as I lean my forehead against his neck, snuggling closer. 
“You know how much Dakota needs her drama.” I murmur into his skin. “But actually, I had to make a call.”
“And escape Mr. Monroe’s famous onions.” Grayson adds knowingly. I chuckle at his tone, and at the fact of how well he knows me. Chance’s dad has a tendency to smother anything he cooks in with onions, which makes me bawl like a child on Christmas morning. 
“I love anything he makes. I just don’t love the process.” 
Grayson places a small kiss on my forehead, squeezing me tighter against him. Even though we go to the same school, we don’t spend as much time together as we’d like. With both of our class loads full, and Grayson picking up various photography jobs, it seems like we’re always on the run. Standing here, in his arms, it’s nice to know that no matter how busy we get, we still have each other. 
“While I’d love to stay out here with you forever, there’s another boy who’s begging for your attention.” Grayson turns us toward the door and I notice Noah leaning against the glass, waiting for his turn. I laugh, stepping out of Grayson’s arms and beckon for the little boy. Noah doesn’t need much of an invitation. 
“I thought you’d never stop being all gross.” He almost shouts, yanking the sliding door open and launching himself into my open arms. I hold him close, giving his unruly hair a small kiss. He wiggles from under all the love, grabbing for my hand. I reach my other hand back, letting Grayson’s fingers entwine with mine, before we’re both pulled inside. 
“Did you see the Christmas tree Chance got?” Noah exclaims, pulling me past his dad. I give him a small kiss on the cheek, before we continue our journey to the tree. Dakota is in there and so is Chance. 
“Cosmopolitan!” He shouts, grabbing me around the waist and lifting me high in the air. I squeal, as my hands are still attached to the two Banks boys, before being lowered back down. “Now the party can finally start, now that I’m here.” 
Surprisingly, Dakota doesn’t comment on that, just weaves her hand through the crook of Chance’s arm as he pulls her closer. Now that her boyfriend is here, she’s all mush and I love seeing my best friend so happy. I hear noises from the front of the house as my parents are greeted by Chance’s dad. In the next moment, they’re all in the room with us and I tug Grayson away from the middle of the commotion. We move over, standing by the tree, my arms wrapped around his waist, his wrapped around my shoulders. 
Our families greet each other, shouting and laughing, as they normally do as Grayson and I take it all in. I can’t help feeling so blessed. Last year at this time, I wasn’t this blissfully happy. I was confused and nervous. But now, as I stand next to my handsome boyfriend, watching our families interact, I can’t help but thank God for all that He’s done in my life. 
Grayson takes a few steps back, shielding us from the onlookers by the giant tree Monroe’s always insist on getting. 
“How are we feeling, Ms Summers?” he whispers against my hair. 
“Loved and blessed, Mr. Banks.” I reply. 
“Merry Christmas, Brooklynn.” He doesn’t give me a chance to reply, as his lips find mine and I get lost in the taste and feel of him. He pulls me closer still and I’m just as excited today as I was months ago to know that he’s mine. I could stay like this forever.
It’s the jeers and cheers from the family that finally breaks us apart. I guess the tree wasn’t much of a cover. 

No comments:

Flickr