"...her secret is patience..." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, April 8, 2013

Book Spotlight: Night School (Night School #1) by C.J. Daugherty

Allie's world is falling apart...

She hates her school. Her brother has run away. And she's just been arrested.

Again.

Now her parents are sending her away to a boarding school where she doesn't know a soul.

But instead of hating her new school, Allie finds she's happy there. She's making friends. And then there's Sylvain, a suave French student who openly flirts with her. And Carter, the brooding loner who seems to have her back.

Soon, though, Allie discovers Cimmeria Academy is no ordinary school. Nothing there is as it seems. And her new friends are hiding dangerous secrets.


From goodreads.com

     Allie is having a bit of trouble in her life. So her parent's decide to send her away to Cimmeria Academy, a school she's never heard of before. This school is a new start for her, a place with strict rules and no technology. Needless to say, Allie is a little apprehensive. Soon, she starts meeting people and discovering secrets. Things start happening around  the school that Allie can't explain, and she takes it upon herself to figure out what in the world is going on. 
     Night School is nothing like what I expected. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it, the book as whole that is. Allie is an alright character. She's had some misfortunes in her life, that lead her to become the trouble child. When she arrives at Cimmera Academy she has no idea what to expect. She's all alone in this new environment and she makes the best of it. I do give the girl props for using her brain to deal with all the crazy that starts happening at the school. 
     There are a lot of other characters in the book and I mean a lot. The book itself is a bit lengthy and I think a big part of that is the fact that those characters needed to be set up. Ms. Daugherty did a good job keeping up with the story  lines when it came to the characters because you start to suspect everyone. Out of all the characters, I enjoyed Carter the best. I felt like he was the most likable, even with all the broody. He was definitely the most likable boy out of the two. 
     I think the one thing that I really couldn't wrap my mind around is the whole mystery. I just didn't feel like it was much of a mystery and in the end it was kind of a let down. I was hoping for something...bigger...than what it ended up being. To be honest, I kind of expected it to be a bit supernatural. I'm not sure I why, but I did. Maybe it's the name? 
      Night School comes out in the US on May 21st, 2013. 

      Happy reading, 

      Valia 

No comments:

Flickr