"...her secret is patience..." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, March 4, 2013

Book Spotlight: The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett

Sixteen-year-old Dusty Everhart breaks into houses late at night, but not because she’s a criminal. No, she’s a Nightmare.

Literally.

Being the only Nightmare at Arkwell Academy, a boarding school for magickind, and living in the shadow of her mother’s infamy, is hard enough. But when Dusty sneaks into Eli Booker’s house, things get a whole lot more complicated. He’s hot, which means sitting on his chest and invading his dreams couldn’t get much more embarrassing. But it does. Eli is dreaming of a murder.

Then Eli’s dream comes true.

Now Dusty has to follow the clues—both within Eli’s dreams and out of them—to stop the killer before more people turn up dead. And before the killer learns what she’s up to and marks her as the next target.


From goodreads.com

   Guys, I've been sitting on this review for two months! I don't even know how I contained my excitement until now, but somehow I did. Well, mostly it's because I talked about the book nonstop anyway. *snickers* But I'm way ahead of myself here. 

   The Nightmare Affair is a story of Dusty Everhart, a real life Nightmare. This is not a technical term, it's a magical one. It's her job to sit on top of unsuspecting victims and drink their dream juice. Then, she is partnered up with Eli Booker, the hot guy from her old school. Not that sitting on a hot guy is all that hard, but then things turn wonky and the real fun begins. 

   I loved everything about this book. The cover? Gorgeous to boot. The characters? Fun, fresh, and all so real. The adventure? Exciting! The hot boy? Swoon worthy. 
Dusty was a great main character. Sure she had her ups and down, but that's what makes any character a real one. I could totally see myself going to school with this girl and becoming her friend. 
   Eli, oh man, Eli. Well, he's all kinds of hot and swoony and I loved his character. I loved seeing him develop as an individual, just like Dusty did. And them together? Oh boy! I think one of the biggest parts of their relationship that I enjoyed is that it wasn't insta-love and bam, they're together. No, they had their ups and downs, their other relationships, but in the end, the chemistry between them was just a little too sizzling. 
   There is so much more I can tell you about this book but really, you just need to read it for yourself. If you are fans of magic and good solid writing, then this is a book for you. 

   The world Mindee created is magical, exciting, and fascinating, with characters who keep you on your toes and tug at your heart strings. 
TOMORROW!!! IT COMES OUT TOMORROW!
   The Nightmare Affair comes out March 5th, 2013. Get it, read it, LOVE it! 

Happy reading, 

Valia 

No comments:

Flickr