"...her secret is patience..." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Book Spotlight: Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout

There is need. And then there is Fate... 

Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her. 

When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon... and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude... or killing her. 

When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.

From Goodreads. com
Review:

If you guys follow me for any length of time you know I’m a bit obsessive over Jennifer’s writing. You have no idea how excited I was to read this book. My two sentence review on Goodreads states: “Holy *blip blipedy blip* Jen is freaking fabulous...ya thats all you people get for now, and thats really all you need to know.” And I’m not kidding. What Jennifer began so cleverly in Half-Blood, she continues in Pure. 

This book starts out where the first one ends. The relationships between all the characters are taken to a new level, the action (yes, even that kind of action) is ever present, and the storyline continues to grow. I can’t seriously talk about this book without wanting to give everything away. 
Alex and Seth are pretty much joined at the hip and this puts strains on everyone. Alex is one of my absolutely favorite YA heroines. She’s real, strong, fearsome, and yet there is a side to her that’s just a little girl wanting to be loved. I love the contrast and Jennifer does it well. Throughout the whole book, Alex continues to grow and I love seeing her character develop.
Aiden, oh my freaking goodness AIDEN!!! Really, do I need to say anything else? No? I knew it, but I’m going to say things anyway. :) Aiden is one of my all time favorite male hero’s (notice a pattern here?). There’s so much about him that’s wonderful. He’s not only strong, hard working, honorable, sweet, kind individual but he’s flipping hot as well *fans self* The sacrifices he makes in Pure will blow your mind! His relationship with Alex is so sweet and heartbreaking I just want to hug him to pieces. 
Seth is a huge part of Pure and you have to love and hate him at the same time. His relationship with Alex develops in a unique way, putting a strain on pretty much everything Alex thinks and does. There is so much between these two that you will not see coming. There are plot twist and new characters and things you that will leave you speechless. 
Pure is pure awesomeness, pure greatness, pure piece of fabulous literature. Jennifer created a world that is unique and beautiful in its own way and characters that make you laugh, cry, and love them all. As a writer, Jennifer pushes me in my own work to create something as fabulous as this. If you guys haven’t read these books, I highly recommend it. Pure now available in digital format from amazon and the official release date for print is April 3rd! Get it, read it, love it!
Much love, 
Valia 
PS I’d love to hear your thoughts. :-D 

2 comments:

Amanda @Stuck In YA Books said...

Awesome review!! I <3 this book soo much!! Cant wait until Deity!

Alexa said...

With Half-Blood I liked the story but I thought it was a teen redo of the Dark Hunter series, which is adult romance. Then I read Pure and was blown away. I liked all of these characters before but now I loved them and even though I was for Aiden in Half-Blood I'm now a fan of Seth as well. This doesn't happen often but I'm so torn between these two guys and I can't wait to see what will happen in the third book.

Thanks for the fabulous review.

Flickr