"...her secret is patience..." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Book Review: The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one…except the "thing" inside her.
When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch….
Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special, says she's one of them. The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits: Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret.
Griffin's investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help—and finally be a part of something, finally fit in.
But The Machinist wants to tear Griff's little company of strays apart, and it isn't long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she's on—even if it seems no one believes her.
From Goodreads.com


   I should begin by saying that I have never before liked steampunk. I have tried the genre before, unsuccessfully. The Girl in the Steel Corset changed that forever! 
I absolutely love this book. I went in thinking that I will have to make myself read it, because even though I adore history, I’m not big on history novels. Right away, this book pulled me in. From the first pages, there is conflict, action, and a character who kicks some serious butt. 
Finley Jayne is a girl with a secret. She is introduced to us as a tough and independent character who will stand up for herself if the situation calls for it. Her unique personality brings an edge to the story, making it even more fantastic. Then we meet Griffin King, The Duke of Greythorne, royalty who is a genuinely sweet and caring person. He has a way about him that you cannot help but love. (He’s definitely on my list of boy book crushes) He is the kind of young man who puts the needs of others above his own, while still remaining tough and unmovable. He, like our heroine Finley, carries a secret of his own. That makes him sweet, mysterious, and exciting. (Now, I need to find me one of those). His three friends, Sam, Emily, and Jasper (Ah, Jasper) are all unique individuals with abilities of their own. Each one plays a part in the story making it more thrilling with every page you turn. 
Honestly, I am so glad I decided to give this book a chance. I am officially in love with this series and genre! Kady is a brilliant writer who pulls you into the world of the future in the past, making it come right off the pages. In a world full of automatons, villains, and individuals with real emotions, the book is a wonderful debut into the series. I cannot wait for more! The book comes out May 24, 2011. Buy it, read it, love it! :)
Happy reading,
Valia 

PS. I decided to spotlight a few books on this blog every month. However, I will continue to post most of my reviews on my other blog Art of Discovering What You Believe. I love discussing books, so leave me comments here and over there! Hope you enjoy my spotlight! :-) Let me know! 

No comments:

Flickr