"...her secret is patience..." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, April 19, 2010

The simple things...

Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Hawthorne got it in one. He was a man who knew how to use words to his advantage. Truman Capote, of McCall’s, said in November of 1967, “To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the inner music the words make.”

I want my writing to create the inner music Capote spoke about. I want to be able to express myself in the way that is best understood by many. I want to be the one Hawthorne described as writer who takes innocent, powerless words and transforms them into astounding, startling, and fierce. But today is not about that.
Yesterday I witnessed the wonders of God’s creation. A bird with as many colors as there are in the world. A giraffe, tall and strong, taking a stroll through the park. My hands running down the back of a beautiful stingray. To walk through the world and never see the beauty that is all around is one of the saddest occurrences in life. We all need to take a moment and look around us. There is so much splendor right outside our doors, that we miss everyday.

Today, I’m not sharing a new story, or posting an insert of my book. Today I am just trying to remind everyone that we must appreciate the world around us. Sometimes we don’t need books; we just need to open our eyes to the greatest story of all.

No comments:

Flickr