"...her secret is patience..." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, September 9, 2013

Book Spotlight: Marie Antoinette Serial Killer by Katie Alender

Colette Iselin is excited to go to Paris on a class trip. She’ll get to soak up the beauty and culture, and maybe even learn something about her family’s French roots.

But a series of gruesome murders are taking place across the city, putting everyone on edge. And as she tours museums and palaces, Colette keeps seeing a strange vision: a pale woman in a ball gown and powdered wig, who looks suspiciously like Marie Antoinette.

Colette knows her popular, status-obsessed friends won’t believe her, so she seeks out the help of a charming French boy. Together, they uncover a shocking secret involving a dark, hidden history. When Colette realizes she herself may hold the key to the mystery, her own life is suddenly in danger . . .

Acclaimed author Katie Alender brings heart-stopping suspense to this story of revenge, betrayal, intrigue — and one killer queen.


From Goodreads.com

     Colette is beyond excited to go to Paris. Recently, her life hasn't been all that she'd hope it would be. Her family is going through some changes, and she's ready to get away. But Paris isn't all that it's cracked out to be either. There is a murderer on the lose and whether she likes it or not, Colette is pulled into that world of trouble. Together with a few unlikely friends, she must solve the puzzle of her past before it's too late. 
     This is my first Katie Alender book. I feel like I should mention that from the start. I do own book one in her other series, but I've never read it. So for me, this book was a completely new experience. I also should mention that even now, I'm not sure how I'm feeling about it. But I'm getting ahead of myself. 
     Colette is the main character in this story and she is one confused little girl. I feel like that's the best way I can describe her for most of the story. She makes decisions that drive me insane and she is pretty shallow over all. Now, I know that's the way she is written for a reason, but I just couldn't get behind her for most of the book. There were times where I thought "Oh yes, finally!" and then, "Oh never mind." 
     The other characters in this book drove me right up the wall as well. Most of them are annoying and shallow and say and do things that are really frustrating. I did enjoy Jules character. He's the tour guide that comes into the picture and I really like it when he's involved. I also really liked Ashley :) That's all I'm saying about that, because you'll just have to read it. 
      Now, after saying all that, I did enjoy the book. The historical aspect was wonderful and the imagery of all the places Colette went was great. If I wanted to go to Paris before, I definitely want to go now. I also really enjoyed the murder aspect. I think it was a neat idea overall, and I really liked the way it all came together in the end. 
     Basically, you can see my struggles with this book. While I wasn't sold on the writing style, I like the overall idea. I'm curios enough to read other books by Ms Alender and I think that says a lot. I hope you guys go out and pick up your copy on September 24th, 2013. I think a lot of you will enjoy it! Plus, did I mention it's about Paris? :)

     Happy reading, 

     Valia 

1 comment:

Chris Desson said...

I'm with you. The concept sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I want to take the time to read it. I like Katie Alender's Bad Girls Don't Die. The storyline is a little out there but in a kooky- spooky way alas it wasn't good enough for me to continue the series. Honestly, I thought the book should have been a stand alone book.

Flickr