"...her secret is patience..." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, December 24, 2012

Book Spotlight: Dualed by Elsie Chapman

The city of Kersh is a safe haven, but the price of safety is high. Everyone has a genetic Alternate—a twin raised by another family—and citizens must prove their worth by eliminating their Alts before their twentieth birthday. Survival means advanced schooling, a good job, marriage—life.

Fifteen-year-old West Grayer has trained as a fighter, preparing for the day when her assignment arrives and she will have one month to hunt down and kill her Alt. But then a tragic misstep shakes West’s confidence. Stricken with grief and guilt, she’s no longer certain that she’s the best version of herself, the version worthy of a future. If she is to have any chance of winning, she must stop running not only from her Alt, but also from love . . . though both have the power to destroy her.

Elsie Chapman's suspenseful YA debut weaves unexpected romance into a novel full of fast-paced action and thought-provoking philosophy. When the story ends, discussions will begin about this future society where every adult is a murderer and every child knows there is another out there who just might be better.

From goodreads.com


      Dualed is a story about fifteen-year-old West Grayer, a girl who lives in a world where two of the same child are born every time, creating a world of Alts. Alt is a genetic Alternate, a twin that is born to another family in another part of the city. When the time comes, sometime before the twentieth birthday, the kids are activated and are put thru a mission. Kill or be killed. When West’s time comes, after a tragic accident, her whole world is turned upside down and then the adventure begins. 
I didn’t know what to think about this book when I first heard about the premise. I mean this is a story where everyone is a murderer. Think about it, every young adult and adult had to kill someone in order to live. But when I started reading, I was swept into West’s world and her struggle to survive. 
West is definitely not your typical fifteen-year-old. She’s been preparing to take on her Alt for years, with her brother and his best friend by her side. However, her world gets crushed and then instead of facing her Alt, West goes on the run. There were times during the story where I wished I could see a little bit more of West, of how she is feeling, but overall I could understand her struggles. 
While I loved West, I think I loved Chord a little bit more. I just enjoyed him as a character. He was sweet and tough, the perfect combination. The whole book I was just waiting for those part where he stepped back into the pages. The relationship between West and Chord was something sweet and real as well and I loved that. 
However, I have to point out the fact that I wanted the story a little more developed. I felt like the story was so focused on West killing her Alt but at the same time without giving us much of the back story or really any sympathy factor. Also, the whole thing with Chord could’ve been handled better as well, I would’ve loved more development in the characters and the story. 
Overall, this was a good story for anyone who likes science fiction and fight scenes. Dualed comes out February 26th, 2013. Let me know what you think.

Happy reading, 
Valia 

No comments:

Flickr