"...her secret is patience..." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, November 8, 2012

NaNoWriMo Shenanigans Week One

Hey guys, 
     Can you believe it? It's already been a week in the madness that is NaNo. Anyone else close their eyes at night and see words doing little dances? No? Oh then it's just me. 

     Anyway, I have to say I'm pretty happy with the way my NaNo is treating me. The idea I started with is the type of a story that you carry with you a while, letting it marinate, develop, before you actually pen it to paper. I've been thinking about my characters journey even before I knew I was writing this book. Now that I am, I'm having a blast. 
For example, I was writing this whole scene and I was thinking to myself, "Man, there's this character and he really needs to make an appearance already because I really like him." (but I had no idea what part he'll play in the story, just that he needed to be there). And then BAAM! He literally came out of nowhere and now he's definitely here to stay. 

     I laughed about that one, for a while. But in all honestly, aren't the characters that write themselves the best characters? 
It is challenging to sit down and write that 1667 a day just because my life is a bit stressful right now. However, when is life not stressful right? You just have to push through and reach for those goals and dreams. Which is exactly what NaNo is for me, just another step in the universe of writer things. 

     Now that week one has passed, it's time to dive into the "meat" of my characters and I can't wait. Most of what I've written so far sets up the story, but now is where the fun is. And I'm off!


Word Count: 17,729

How did you do? 

Much love, 
Valia

1 comment:

Colin Smith said...

I'm having a great NaNo at the moment, Valia. And I completely understand what you say about characters finding a place for themselves. One of my characters that I thought would be just a side character has started muscling her way into my MC's life--and it's fun to watch this happen!

Congrats on your progress to date. I wish you every success. :)

Flickr