"...her secret is patience..." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Sequels Book Spotlight: Once by Anna Carey & Spark by Amy Kathleen Ryan

When you're being hunted, who can you trust?

For the first time since she escaped from her school many months ago, Eve can sleep soundly. She's living in Califia, a haven for women, protected from the terrifying fate that awaits orphaned girls in The New America.

But her safety came at a price: She was forced to abandon Caleb, the boy she loves, wounded and alone at the city gates. When Eve gets word that Caleb is in trouble, she sets out into the wild again to rescue him, only to be captured and brought to the City of Sand, the capital of The New America.

Trapped inside the City walls, Eve uncovers a shocking secret about her past--and is forced to confront the harsh reality of her future. When she discovers Caleb is alive, Eve attempts to flee her prison so they can be together--but the consequences could be deadly. She must make a desperate choice to save the ones she loves . . . or risk losing Caleb forever.

In this breathless sequel to "Eve," Anna Carey returns to her tale of romance, adventure, and sacrifice in a world that is both wonderfully strange and chillingly familiar.

From Goodreads.com
Summary:

Once starts out three months after Eve ends. Eve has been living in Califia, the city filled with women, and missing Caleb. He sacrificed himself in order to get Eve to safety, and she hasn’t stopped thinking about him since. The story takes off from the first pages when an unexpected friend shows up and Eve is once again on an adventure.

Honestly, I think I enjoyed Once more than I enjoyed Eve. This book opened up a lot of doors for Eve and her story. We discover some things about herself that she couldn’t have even imagined. She meets Caleb again and together they make plans, once more, to get out from where they are. I love Caleb’s character to pieces and I really wish there was more of him in the story. That was one part that I loved about Eve. Seriously though, the end of that book made me so angry (in a good way). That cliffhanger is (Oh. My. Goodness.) I pretty much can’t wait for book three! (More Caleb). :-) Once is out now!


Waverly and Kieran are finally reunited on the Empyrean. Kieran has led the boys safely up to this point, and now that the girls are back, their mission seems slightly less impossible: to chase down the New Horizon, and save their parents from the enemy ship. But nothing is truly as it seems…Kieran’s leadership methods have raised Seth’s hackles— and Waverly’s suspicions. Is this really her fiancĂ©? The handsome, loving boy she was torn from just a short time before? More and more, she finds her thoughts aligned with Seth’s. But if Seth is Kieran’s Enemy No. 1, what does that make her?

In one night, a strange explosion rocks the Empyrean—shooting them off course and delaying their pursuit of the New Horizon—and Seth is mysteriously released from the brig. Seth is the most obvious suspect for the explosion, and Waverly the most obvious suspect for releasing him. As the tension reaches a boiling point, will Seth be able to find the true culprit before Kieran locks them both away—or worse? Will Waverly follow her heart, even if it puts lives at risk? With the balance of power precarious and the clock ticking, every decision counts… every step brings them closer to a new beginning, or a sudden end...

From goodreads.com
Summary:

Spark is book two in Sky Chasers series. The girls have been reunited with the boys, their mission now is to chase down the New Horizon and get their parents back. Waverly is still recovering from what happened to her on New Horizon. Kieran is still trying to keep the ship from falling apart. Seth is still being blamed for everything. Book two is told in three different points of view, which I enjoyed a lot. We get to see a bit more Seth in this book which made me happy. 

Confession, I’m a big Seth fan. I know, I know, thats crazy considering he’s a total crazy person in book one but there’s just something about him. Before his crazy stage I really enjoyed his character and I didn’t feel like giving up on him. Good thing I didn’t! I really liked him in this book! I also enjoyed Waverly’s character growing and Kieran’s. They have to make some tough decisions and both become better for it. I’m excited to read what happens next. Spark comes out July 17th!
Let me know what you think!
Happy reading, 
Valia 

2 comments:

C.J. said...

Great reviews! SPARK interests me most, particularly because the cover is just absolutely sparkly (ha) and beautiful. Cleanly done. I love it. I haven't read EVE so the description is a little confusing, but I'm curious about this New America place.

C.J.
cjlistro.blogspot.com

Giselle @ Book Nerd Canada said...

I really enjoyed Spark! It always reminded me of the Across the Universe trilogy. I love futuristic books.

Flickr